Interview with a Student at UoPeople from a War-torn Country


Sam is from Afghanistan. She started her journey at the UoPeople in 2021. Due to the political and economic situation in her country, she is studying online at the UoPeople. I met her in one of my classes and asked her if she wished to share her experience of studying online and the obstacles she has been facing in getting an education. She agreed!


Me: When did you start your journey at the UoPeople? And what do you study?

Sam: I started in September 2021 after the takeover of some elements in my country that don't allow women's education. I am in the computer science program.

Me: Why did you choose to study at the UoPeople?

Sam: I was going to college in Kabul. But it fell to people that do not support or let women get an education after the withdrawal of the US. I escaped to the neighboring country on the border and started exploring avenues for online education. I found the UoPeople through a Google search and applied for admission. In short, here I am.

Me: What has been your overall experience of studying at the UoPeople so far?

Sam: My experience has been great. Everyone is so supportive. But sometimes, I am not happy with the grades I receive from other students. I am pleased that the UoPeople cares about students from war-torn countries and gives scholarships to them. I also cannot express my gratitude to the UoPeople in words for helping me and allowing me to continue my studies in very tough circumstances. Thank you UoPeople!

Me: What are the obstacles you face while getting an education at the UoPeople?

Sam: I am in the neighboring country presently. It is a bit like Afghanistan but more modern and built. I face power cuts, cellular, and internet shutdown very often. I have to get monthly internet that gives me 60GB at the cost of $12 per month. The internet service is not good. I have to pray that services don't get shut down during my Quizzes and Exams. I also face economic hardships. I and my family sew traditional clothes in a foreign country. The income is very low. Sometimes we only eat one good meal in 24 hours. However, I am thankful to the heavens for being alive and able to study.   

Me: How do you think that the UoPeople can improve?

Sam: I don't like Peer Assessment. It's the first time I am studying under the model where students grade other students. I think students don't do a fair job of grading students. I contact my instructors to change my grades. Sometimes they fix the grade, but at other times they simply ignore my request. I find it very frustrating. I also think there should be some video lectures by the instructors of the UoPeople.

Me: Who is your role model and why?

Sam: Malala is my role model. She advocates for women's education in countries like mine. She also went through tough experiences that I could have had.

Me: What are your future plans after graduating from the UoPeople?

Sam: I want to get a Master's. I also want to study at a physical university in the US after my degree. But I don't have the money. I hope that someone can sponsor or give me a scholarship as the UoPeople does.

Me: Any final thoughts or comments?

Sam: Thank you for this interview and for giving me an avenue to channel my experience. I hope my situation and experience would inspire girls to get higher education in the face of potential dangers. 


Note: Some of the grammar and English were fixed in the interview. Also, some of the transcripts of the interview (mostly my reaction) were removed. All was done with the permission of the interviewee.  

Comments

Popular Posts