World Literature (ENGL 1405) at UoPeople



The last term was challenging for me, not because of the courses but due to the fact that I was diagnosed with Melanoma (a type of skin cancer) during the term. It was in the very early stages. A mole appeared out of nowhere on my shoulder. I had it examined, and the tests confirmed it was indeed Melanoma. The cancerous mole was removed via surgery. After that, I went through chemotherapy to minimize the chances of its return. Thankfully, I’m alright now, but the post-surgery and chemo period was quite tough on me. I didn’t drop the courses but kept studying during the whole process. My strong suggestion for you is to have regular checkups. They save lives!

I think ENGL 1405 (World Literature) is by far one of my favorite courses at the UoPeople. I have often emphasized that I love writing and reading since I was a kid and have a degree in Arts with English as a minor from a typical brick and mortar university. 


Anyway, it was a very lightweight course, in my view. You read different fiction genres each week and then write about them in your Discussion, Written and Learning Journals. Basically, you read a story each week and then write about it using the newly learned reading, story, and character analysis techniques. The genres that I studied in the course were drama, horror, sci-fi, comedy, mystery, fantasy, children’s literature, and vision. The Learning Journals and Written Assignments in the last few weeks get very interesting. You write your own stories in some weeks and then do character analysis using techniques like dating profiles, newspaper articles, etc. 

My class was extremely small, which I mostly enjoy, with no more than 14-16 students. It was the first time for my instructor to teach this course, let alone online, and he was not shy to admit that he was a novice when it came to technology. Several other students and I helped him out a bit here and there when something was off or not correctly displayed in the course. 


Most of the Graded Quizzes were slight variants of the self-quizzes. They were relatively easy, in other words. I am happy to say that the Final Exam was different than the quizzes and enforced critical thinking. I like exams that pose challenges but are not overly ridiculous. The Final Exam tested everything learned in the course and had no repetition or had questions from the quizzes. Make sure you revise which authors belong to which genre by name and whose story you read in what genre and week during the course. Other than that, particularly revise parsing and sentence structures like verbs, objects, subjects, etc. I got 37/40 on the final and ended up with an A in the class. 

Final thoughts, if you study, do all your work, and make legible notes, then I don’t see how you can’t get an A in the course.

Comments

Popular Posts