Greek and Roman Civilization (HIST 1421) at UoPeople



Greek and Roman Civilization (HIST 1421) was by far my favorite course at the UoPeople. I love history, and I have taken many history courses in my previous bachelor's degree. I absolutely love writing, so this was also the course that allowed me to express myself freely in that department. My assignments always ranged from 1500-2000 words consistently. If you haven't ever taken a history course before, then be ready to learn about ancient civilizations that have left a significant mark on the world we live in and plenty of things we borrow from. This course will undoubtedly change your outlook on how you view history and things in your personal life.

I was lucky to have a brilliant instructor who told us upfront that he doesn't tolerate unfair peer assessment and would use the same harsh or inadequate assessment on your assignments if you grade another student in a similar manner. Moreover, he was always active in the discussion forum, replied to emails, and posted weekly announcements and extra material to help students with the course. I think every instructor at UoPeople should take a leaf out of his book. Such an exemplary professor is a gem for the institutions they teach at. This course was one of the most crowded classes I've taken at UoPeople. It had well over 40 students. However, the instructor handled everyone with care and replied to students politely when he felt they lacked in their assignments. 


For the course material, for the first half of the class, you study ancient Greek civilization, and for the second half, you learn about ancient Roman civilization. There is no prescribed book, and you learn things from the material the school provides you in the shape of articles, online books, and PDF documents. You also have to do a fair share of reading and research to write your discussion posts, written assignments, and learning journals. It's also one of the courses which demand your 100% commitment to APA citations. I've come across many students in my previous courses at UoPeople who never cite anything or simply cheat and then cry foul when they get caught. I mean, if you're cheating, then you clearly aren't learning anything and have zero personal growth. Cheaters have no sympathy from me. TLDR: don't cheat; cite properly using APA standard; there is no shame in admitting you got the idea from a source, in fact, it just validates your opinion and strengthens your writing. Anyway, enough of that.


For this course, there are no non-graded quizzes. To prepare for the graded quizzes, you must take good notes. If I had a dollar every time I've said that, I'd be a rich girl! Your notes should include essential occurrences, sometimes numbers too, like how old you've to be to hold a public office in Athens, the cause of the change of the Roman Empire to Republic, and so on. Nonetheless, you're never tested on the dates rightfully. As for the final exam, some of the questions came directly from the graded quizzes you did, so it's always a good idea to revise your graded quizzes and, most importantly, your notes before taking the exam. 


All in all, it's an extremely informative course that requires a fair amount of reading and research. I ended up with an A in the class, and it was all due to being diligent and having a competent instructor. 

Comments

Popular Posts